How to do Business in the Federal Government

Dear M & M:

How do I do business with the Federal Government?


Dear Beverly:

The first step in doing business with the federal government is to register your business into a data base called Systems Award Management (SAM).  Before you are ready to go online to register in (SAM) you will need to get the following items. One of the things you will need is a Dun & Bradstreet Number (D-U-N-S). It is a nine digit number unique to your business location.

You should be able to obtain your number at no cost search online using the following search words “DUNS service request” or just go to the following link to register your business to get a DUNS number. Remember this is free. Do not pay anyone to get this number.


The next thing you will have to do is find your North American Industry Classification code or NAICS code. NAICS codes identify what services or industries your business does. The following link will take you to the census bureau web site to help you find your industry classification (

There is a search window at the top left side of the page you can type in key words to find your NAICS code. Another important step is determining if your business fits the Small Business Administration (SBA) definition of a small business. The SBA has charts you can find based on number of employees and annual sales to find out if you qualify for as a small business.

The following link will guide you to a tool to determine your size standards ( You will also need your Federal Tax Identification Number (EIN) the following link will take you to a web site to get one (

Other information needed to create a (SAM) user account includes; First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, Email Address and answers to security questions. Once you have gathered all the above information you are ready to begin registration online at the following web site; .

Once registered in SAM Besides federal opportunities to sell your goods or services one should also check into state, county and city governments. Remember SAM is an online data base that you need to be in to begin the process to become a contractor to do business with the Federal Government. (Sam) collects stores and distributes information about contractors that are doing business with the federal government and facilitates an electronic payment process to contractors that have won awards or grants.

Remember when you register with (SAM) you have to choose someone to be the E-Business Point of Contact (E-Biz POC). Then the E-Biz POC uses the MPIN (Marketing Personal Identification Number) given by SAM to login to The E-Business Point of contact can designate other people in your company to allow them to submit applications electronically through

These individuals allowed to enter proposals are called Authorized Organization Representatives (AOR). Once registered now begins the process of marketing and finding opportunities available to your organization that you can perform. is the place to start looking. This is a lot of work. Cochise College Small Business Development Center and the Sierra Vista Economic Development Foundation has partnered with Arizona Procurement Assistance Centers (AZPTAC). If want a local no cost personalized assisted solution please contact the Arizona Procurement Assistance Center (AZPTAC) Specialist Daniella Lopez in Sierra Vista at (520) 895-9180 or email Sources:


To ask your questions: Call the Small Business Development Center(SBDC) at Cochise College (520)-515-5478 or email or contact the Sierra Vista Economic Development Foundation(EDF) at 520-458-6948 or email


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s