Exporting – Special Events & Trade Shows

Dear M & M:

I am thinking about exporting my products to another country. What are some things I should do to see if this is feasible?

-Greg

Dear Greg: 

Selling to other markets can be a great way to expand your sales opportunities. The U.S. has less than 5% of the total population in the world. Opportunities exist beyond our borders selling to the other 95% of the planet.  The National Export Initiative has developed a simple “Export Readiness Questionnaire”, available at http://export.gov/begin/assessment.asp to help you determine if you are ready to look into exporting. Some questions asked by the questionnaire include: Does your company have a product or service that is doing well in domestic markets? Does your company have or are you working on an international marketing plan? Does your company have the financial resources to actively support the marketing of your products in the targeted foreign market? Do you have sufficient production capacity that can be committed to the export market? Is your company’s management committed to developing export markets and are they willing to dedicate staff, time and resources to the process?  Before starting up your export operations, be sure you have an export plan – similar to a business plan but focusing instead on strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats your company would face in a foreign market. An export plan should help you define your objectives clearly so that you can use the right tactics to reach your goals, and will give you more credibility with lenders, who will ask you to prove your capacity for exporting. If your small business is ready to go global; it may be an easier step than you think. Advances in technology can make worldwide commerce achievable for many small businesses, depending on the goods or services you offer. If you’re ready to explore the possibilities and challenges of exporting, U.S. Export Assistance Centers provide the help you need. These centers are located in major metropolitan areas throughout the United States. Each U.S. Export Assistance Center is staffed by professionals from the SBA, the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. Export-Import Bank, and other public and private organizations. Together, their mission is to provide the help you need to compete in today’s global marketplace. Your local U.S. Export Assistance Center is your one-stop shop, designed to provide export assistance for your small- or medium-sized business. For local assistance Cochise College Small Business Development Center can be a vital link to the resources one may need to begin selling to international markets. Assistance is readily available call 515-5478 to make an appointment to speak with a counselor.

-M&M

 

Dear M & M:

I only do business at special events and trade shows. Do I still need an Arizona Sales tax license?

-Morris

Dear Morris:

Yes. The Transaction Privilege Tax Application (short form) must be obtained. This short form is specifically for event licensing or transient vendors and is intended for use by vendors at special events such as Fairs, Shows, Swap Meets, etc. The state license fee is $12 no matter how many special events you attend. However, a separate city license fee is required for each city unless you are currently licensed for the city in which an event will be held. You may obtain the Arizona Joint Tax Application (JT1) in person at one of our office locations in Phoenix or Tucson. The form is available to download online and you may apply and register electronically through our web site https://www.AZTaxes.gov. If you have any additional questions about Business Taxes (Transaction Privilege/Sales Tax, Use Tax, Withholding, Waste Tire, etc.) and Licensing/Bonds the phone number is 602 255-2060. The Toll-free number to call if you are calling from 520 or 928 area code is 800-843-7196.

 -M&M

 

To ask your questions: Call the Small Business Development Center(SBDC) at Cochise College (520)-515-5478 or email schmittm@cochise.edu or contact the Sierra Vista Economic Development Foundation(EDF) at 520-458-6948 or email  hollism@svedf.org

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s